On Mon, Sep 04, 2017 at 08:56:31AM +0200, Remi Collet wrote:

> gnupg v2 is a nightmare for "server", I maintain some PHP extensions and
> libraries which works perfectly against v1, and not against v2

Would it be ok for you to patch the libraries to use /usr/bin/gpg1
instead?

> And, AFAIK, v1 is still maintained.

It is on life-support but not properly maintained. GPG2 uses a better
file format for private keys that GPG1 does not understand. Therefore
GPG2 allows for example to merge GPG subkeys for private keys. If one
relies on GPG2. Also the GPG agent for GPG2 seems to be better than the
GPG1 agent. AFAIK there is no benefit for anyone to still use GPG1 over
GPG2 except for not updating code now. For me it only causes problems
when I accidentally use GPG1 instead of GPG2 because the gpg command
points to GPG1. Also I remember that there might be issues with GPG
signing GIT commits since it defaults to using the gpg command instead
of using the gpg2 command.

Eventually GPG1 will die anyhow. Also the default library gpgme supports
GPG2 correctly and it would be better for code to use GPG via gpgme
instead of writing own wrappers as an extension/library anyhow IMHO.

Kind regards
Till