Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2017 16:35:50 +0000
From: "Klosowski, Przemek (Fed)"<przemek.klosow...@nist.gov>
Subject: Re: getting kernel-devel added
To:"devel@lists.fedoraproject.org"  <devel@lists.fedoraproject.org>

--_000_1d935df8f71094a2cda0afa670dee62cnistgov_

On 09/12/2017 11:35 AM, Ben Williams wrote:
They used the F26 release so now have the release kernel and so they instal=
l sudo dnf install kernel-devel and still have issues (kernel and kernel-de=
vel versions do not match).

You're saying that they need to reboot, because kernel-devel update forces =
 the new kernel but they still run on the old kernel? that's going to bite =
them repeatedly every time kernel updates, if the virtual tools bypass the =
system packaging. It needs to be solved by virtual tools integration, or by=
 more explicit warnings on kernel updates.

no not what i said and the reboots are not the issue
once kernel-devel is on the system with the correct kernel any future updates
both will be updated.
the issue is kernel-devel is not installed ootb with any of our DEs and i am
giving the issue to you from the enduser prespective

install the f26 release iso from get fedora do a rpm -qa |grep kernel
kernel-devel is needed by lots of our endusers

I produce the updated isos i have added kernel-devel to my ks but it would be a
better exiperence going forward for the new enduser if kernel-devel was
included by default in the woekstation and spins

Ben