On 10/27/2017 09:27 PM, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
"FW" == Florian Weimer <fwei...@redhat.com> writes:

FW> It's often necessary to use Lua for scriptlets which run reliably
FW> because RPM lacks delayed script execution.

I guess it depends on how delayed you want them.  The ordering is
certainly well defined but it's all a bit esoteric.

I don't think the point where the cycle is broken is well-defined. Doesn't it depend on the transaction contents?

But sure, Lua is there and it works.  Unfortunately it lacks usability
because it really needs a standard library and more state needs to be
visible in the Lua symbol table.

The posix module that RPM provides internally is quite useful. The problem is that it's not luaposix, so it can be confusing initially.

FW> Furthermore, changes in this area (such as replacing Lua with other
FW> mechanisms such as shell scripts) are difficult to test properly
FW> because differences in RPM or the repository contents could cause
FW> dependency loops be broken at different points.

Well, yes, low level distribution work is hard and the environment as
you are doing an initial OS install is, at least in the early part of
the process, extremely limited.

Installs are the easy part. Upgrades are much harder because there are so many more moving parts.

Thanks,
Florian