On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 11:08 PM, Mike McGrath <mmcgr...@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Jul 2010, Athmane Madjoudj wrote:
>
>> On 07/27/2010 10:53 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Are we skipping Firefox 4 for Fedora 14?  Beta 2 has been released
>> > recently and I am wondering if we can go with it if it fits into the
>> > schedule.  There are dozens of new features including WebM support that
>> > would be nice to have.
>> >
>> > Rahul
>>
>> The final version of FF4 is scheduled at oct-nov 2010 and Fedora 14 at
>>
>> I think, it's OK to have ff4 in F14, and better is IMHO is to have a
>> parallel installation, something like:
>>
>> firefox3-3.x.x
>> firefox-4.x.x
>>
>> Sources:
>>
>> [1] https://wiki.mozilla.org/Releases
>> [2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/14/Schedule
>>

> -1 didn't the last time we started using a pre-release from Mozilla turn
> out pretty bad for us?

well the last beta I presume your talking about is a certain mail
client. The last time we shipped a beta firefox for release I think
was for firefox 3 and it was something like beta6 with the official
release coming out shortly after and from my memory the beta was
relatively stable and a reasonable win in terms of performance. There
was some discussion about it but I don't remember anything to the tune
of thunderbird. The xulrunner dependents are obviously an issue but
with gnome 3 and the move to webkit it rules out the vast majority of
them and I'm not even sure thunderbird uses the offset xulrunner (but
its likely there are others that do need review).

Peter

Peter