On Wed, 2010-07-28 at 11:37 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 03:04:46PM +0200, Florent Le Coz wrote:
> >   On 28/07/2010 14:52, Mike McGrath wrote:
> > > In my opinion including software that even upstream says is not ready is
> > > for a distribution that's "lost their way".  We can still be a leading
> > > distribution and not include pre-release software.  Especially pre-release
> > > software that's not only in our critical path, but also something that
> > > almost all of us use every day.
> > I agree, but doesn't that mean that Firefox 4.0 won't be available in
> > F14 at all and will only be in F15?
> > I think it would be a huge drawback for Fedora 14.
>
> It would be huge if there people who can't live without it didn't have
> any other way of getting it than having it pre-packaged.  I think
> Firefox 4 looks to be fantastic, but the truth is that people only
> have to wait a few months for a release with it pre-packaged, if
> they're not able to add it on their own.

I'd rather we provide them a package than have people going out and
installing software from third-party sources (yes, mozilla.org is hardly
Evil, but it sets a bad precedent). I really don't see much of a reason
we can't ship it as a post-release update. We'd probably want to do that
in the end anyway, because Mozilla tends to stop security supporting old
branches anyway; it's certainly plausible that they stop supporting 3.x
during F14's support lifetime.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey