On Friday, 01 December 2017 at 11:39, Vít Ondruch wrote:
[...]
> What I really want to answer is the question in $SUBJECT, since the
> scope of guidelines is not specified anywhere. It seems that FPC itself
> does not know what releases they target and my guidelines update [1] is
> stuck in review just because of this.

It is my understanding that the unwritten rule is that the guidelines
are targeted at rawhide and we (FPC) try to maintain notes documenting
which releases need exceptions or don't support some things.

> The packaging style is very related of course. If the philosophy of
> Fedora/EPEL was "every change goes into every branch" then the
> guidelines should probably cover all the branches and discuss all the
> differences. But the update policy [2] says the opposite: "we should
> avoid major updates of packages within a stable release. Updates should
> aim to fix bugs, and not introduce features, particularly when those
> features would materially affect the user or developer experience". So
> saying that majority of people supports all the branches is against the
> policy IMO.

Now you're stretching it in my opinion. "Supporting" stable releases
doesn't mean releasing every update made in rawhide to stable branches
as well. Fixing bugs is still "supporting" and I don't see why it would
be against the policy.

Regards,
Dominik
--