On 10 January 2018 at 08:50, Neal Gompa <ngomp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 5:46 AM, Jan Kurik <jku...@redhat.com> wrote:
>> The new mapping for nobody:nobody would be implemented in two redundant ways:
>> * as a static allocation in /etc/passwd and /etc/group managed by setup.rpm
>> * dynamically provided by the nss-systemd module (by compiling systemd
>> with -Dnobody-user=nobody -Dnobody-group=nobody).
>>

> Two questions:
>
> 1. Why nobody:nobody instead of nobody:nogroup? I've seen the latter
> in use in several distributions.
> * For note, we use this in Mageia:
> http://gitweb.mageia.org/software/setup/tree/group
> * Debian and Ubuntu also define it this way.
>
> 2. For existing systems, would renaming the nobody:nobody user to
> oldnobody:oldnobody work instead? The uid would be preserved, which
> should keep the mapping sane, and it would make it more obvious that
> it's old, rather than using weird underscores.
>
> In general, I support this change because the two nobody users made
> things confusing for me and many other people. Simplifying this would
> also harmonize things with everyone else, which helps for portability
> of things. :)

I think all of the above would be good additions to this. Having dealt
with multiple large deployments where 99:99 caused different problems
but then were hard-coded into being fixed if something is Fedora/RHEL
based... a lot of people updating to F28+ would have problems... and a
lot of people update vs fresh install.

> --
> 真実はいつも一つ!/ Always, there's only one truth!

Stephen J Smoogen.