On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 11:31:40AM -0500, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 6:57 AM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
> <zbys...@in.waw.pl> wrote:
>
> > And also, at some point in the future once this is implemented and the
> > new setup has been around for a while, systemd should start emitting a
> > warning during boot, to notify people that such setups will stop being
> > supported at some future point.
> >
> > Zbyszek
>
> This is *not, not, not* a systemd issue. It's a user-space
> configuration change. Since the use of the old uid is likely to be
> found in backups from before operating system update, and on shared
> NFS or CIFS filesystems or external media, setting systemd to prowl
> around the entire filesystem and the backups is likely to be an
> expensive and painful operation that should be done on an admin
> scheduled basis, *not* a boot-time operation. The problem is
> exacerbated by auto-mounted access to NFS and CIFS, which should
> *never* be touched by such a tool automatically.
>
> Please, please, do not consider systemd to be the go-to tool for all
> system maintenance.

Well, the only thing that systemd would do here would be to emit
a warning. This doesn't even have to PID1, most likely this would
be a completely separate unit that would just happen to be distributed
in systemd.rpm. We could make this completely separate, but apart
from additional work, I don't think there'd be any difference.

Zbyszek