On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 3:37 PM, Florian Weimer <fwei...@redhat.com> wrote:
> I have reverted the -z defs change in rawhide.  A substantial number of
> underlinked binaries are still shipped in rawhide after this change, either
> due to explicit overrides or incomplete build flags injection. This means
> that it is necessary to review built RPM packages for incorrectly linked
> binaries even after the change.  Considering that -z defs also causes a lot
> of spurious build failures, it's probably not the way to go.
>
> (The work to enable -z defs is not lost—even after the revert, packages
> which have been fixed so far will remain fixed.)

Maybe this change can be revisited for a later fedora release? I think
there is a benefit in assuring that working libraries / biniares are
produced.

Also, would it be possible to print a warning instead of failing on
detected underlinking?
If so, I think build logs could be checked for the warning as part of
the usual taskotron/bodhi(?) build checks, and errors could get fixed
one by one (or ignored, in the case of false positives). That would
provide the same benefit of checking all packages, but with much less
overall impact on package builds (ideally, none).

Fabio