On Thu, 2018-02-15 at 17:34 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> As shown at https://www.happyassassin.net/nightlies.html, we haven't
> had a successful compose for almost two weeks. AIUI this is mostly
> worked out now, but it raises the question: who should be keeping track
> of this and coordinating fixes? For the releases, the blocker bug
> process basically handles this, so functionally the ownership ends up
> with QA (and the various heroes of QA who then track down all the
> problems). For rawhide, we don't have any such thing. Is it rel-eng? Is
> it FESCo? Is it the FPgM? Is it QA after all?
>
> I suspect that right now, the answer is kind of "It's all of us
> together", which unfortunately practically speaking often comes down to
> 0.02% per person and rounds down to 0.

I...kinda disagree.

In practice it tends to boil down to "me, nirik, and puiterwijk". So,
QA plus releng. And we don't ignore it. The current case is just
turning out to be rather hard because it's not one case, it's about 15.
So far we've found *four separate issues* in just the latest compose,
never mind all the ones we fixed already:

https://pagure.io/dusty/failed-composes/issue/1

Note that any failed compose is implicitly a release blocking bug for
whatever the next milestone release happens to be, and whenever we have
something particularly intransigent blocking the compose, I usually
file an actual blocker bug for it, so it bubbles up to the release
blocking process that way.

> Or if the answer is: "Matthew, you are the FPL. It's you!" … then fine,
> but I'm going to then have to find some way to turn around and
> delegate. :)
>
> I was chatting with Kevin Fenzi and he suggested naming a release
> manager for each release — someone who would keep track of stuff
> starting at branch, and help coordinate things like this.
>
> This would help with more than just Rawhide — I'm sure everyone
> involved in the blocker bug process would be grateful for more help. At
> least, if it was someone who isn't already deeply involved in that. I'm
> thinking probably someone selected from FESCo — but it also could be a
> way for people with the particular set of skills required here to get
> involved in a way that's different from FESCo membership.

This is...pretty much what I do for every release, and have been doing
since like Fedora 14 or something?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey