On Fri, 30 Jul 2010, Conan Kudo (ニール・ゴンパ) wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 2:17 PM, Rahul Sundaram <methe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>        On 07/31/2010 12:41 AM, Conan Kudo (ニール・ゴンパ) wrote:
>       >
>       > Uhh... Firefox 4 GA is before F14 even goes into GA stage. So, that
>       > isn't true. Firefox 4 could be included in Fedora 14, and it should
> be.
>       >

> Provide a reference for that. Fedora 14 release schedule is
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/14/Schedule
>

> Rahul
>

> Hmm, okay.
>
> I was only aware of the October 26 release date before now.
>
> Anyway, here's the Firefox 4 milestone list:
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/4/Beta#Milestones
>
> October 15 is when they go into total freeze and produce release candidates
> and then the final release.
>
> Fedora composes the Final on October 12, but that assumes that we're not
> going to slip one or two weeks as we have for every release of Fedora for the
> last couple years. If
> we slip, and Mozilla pushes out the GA before Final is composed, that could
> be slipped in.
>
> Either way, we could still squeeze in a Firefox 4 Beta and push out the final
> or an RC as a post install update. Then later Fedora Unity will generate a
> spin that will
> include Firefox 4 GA.
>
> We've never had problems with including Firefox betas before, so why now?
> Fedora is the premier distro for getting the latest and greatest software,
> not just the stuff that
> everyone else has. It is why I use Fedora over Ubuntu or some other distro.

This is foolish, I'm sorry but it just is.  If we treated all of our
software this way, we wouldn't need an alpha or beta because everything'd
be changing at the last minute.  If upstream doesn't think it's ready by
our own alpha, why on earth would we try to squeeze it in later in the
game where it will go GA to our users with little or no testing with
itself and other applications?

        -Mike