On Thu, Mar 22, 2018 at 08:47:58AM -0000, Artur Iwicki wrote:
> Some time ago I've adopted modem-manager-gui. Recently upstream has released
> a new version, and while packaging this new version, I noticed a couple of
> issues:
>
> 1) mmgui can work with a couple of backends (different modem managers and
> connection managers). Each backend module is compiled into a different .so
> and they're all included in the package. mmgui is smart enough to recognize
> that a module cannot be used because it's appropriate daemon isn't running,
> so this isn't a problem by itself. The issue is: the new mmgui version also
> ships with an ofono plugin and a NetworkManager dispatcher.d script. Shipping
> these files without having a Requires: on ofono and NM seems dirty to me, but
> then - requiring all the possible backends would pull in unnecessary
> packages. I could separate the backends into individual packages, but I
> wonder - how the handle the dependencies, then? What I'd like to achieve is
> that one of the backends is the "recommended" one, while the others are
> optional. I'm not very accustomed to the weak dependencies mechanism, so I
> wonder: would something like

I don't think you even need to split out the plugins into separate packages.
That
would be useful only if there were requirements (e.g. from linked libraries). If
the plugin does not pull in significant additional libraries and detects if the
daemon is available at runtime, there's really no gain from having a subpackage.

> "Recommends: mmgui-modemmanager; Suggests: mmgui-ofono
> mmgui-some_other_backend

Sounds good.

> 2) Both the old and the new version install a polkit policy (in
> /usr/share/polkit-1/actions). fedora-review says that even with a "Requires:
> polkit", the directories have no known owners.

Please don't add a dependency of polkit just for directory ownership.
There are many systems where polkit is not needed, so just coowning the
directory is a much better solution.

> 3) Similarly to the above - the package installs some help files in
> /usr/share/help. These are available in a couple languages. fedora-review
> says that some of the language directories (like /usr/share/help/pl) are
> unowned. I ran "dnf provides" and it looks like a few other packages that
> ship help files simply declare themselves are owning these directories.
> Should I do the same?

Yes, at least IMO.

Zbyszek