On 22/03/18 08:47, Artur Iwicki wrote:

1) mmgui can work with a couple of backends (different modem managers and connection
managers). Each backend module is compiled into a different .so and they're all included in
the package. mmgui is smart enough to recognize that a module cannot be used because it's
appropriate daemon isn't running, so this isn't a problem by itself. The issue is: the new
mmgui version also ships with an ofono plugin and a NetworkManager dispatcher.d script.
Shipping these files without having a Requires: on ofono and NM seems dirty to me, but then -
requiring all the possible backends would pull in unnecessary packages. I could separate the
backends into individual packages, but I wonder - how the handle the dependencies, then? What
I'd like to achieve is that one of the backends is the "recommended" one, while the
others are optional. I'm not very accustomed to the weak dependencies mechanism, so I wonder:
would something like "Recommends: mmgui-modemmanager; Suggests: mmgui-ofono
mmgui-some_other_
  backend" suffice?

I believe the way to do this is to have all the backends provide a common resource and then do:

Requires: mmgui-backend
Suggests: mmgui-backend-modemmanager

So that you require a backend (which any backend would satisfy as they
all provide it) but if none is installed, or about to be installed by an
explicit request, then dnf will install the suggested one. See here:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:WeakDependencies#Package_Preference

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (t...@compton.nu)