On Wed, Apr 4, 2018 at 2:36 PM Przemek Klosowski <przemek.klosow...@nist.gov>
wrote:

> On 04/04/2018 01:59 PM, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> > The short version is that Modules *are* distribution packages. They're
> > just distribution packages that allow you to pick which major release
> > stream you want to stay on. We also have a distribution-level defaults
> > setup that allows you to pick one stream from the module and call that
> > the "default" for a particular Fedora release. Once that stream is so
> > marked, it just shows up automatically in DNF identically to the way
> > that traditional distribution RPMs do today. So let's say that in
> > Fedora 28 you make PHP into a module with the stream "7.2". We mark
> > that as the default. People can then `dnf install php` exactly as they
> > always could; the only thing they might see different would be the
> > %{release} tag of the RPM.
> >
> > Now, let's assume that PHP upstream decided to release 8.0 next month.
> > Fedora 29 would probably use that as its default module and would
> > package the same way as the above. *However*, you now also have the
> > opportunity to mark the module as being available for both F28 and F29
> > and the Module Build Service would produce it for both. And now users
> > of Fedora 28 can opt in to 8.0 before F29 is released if they want to.
> > And the reverse is true as well: when upgrading to Fedora 29, users
> > can opt to keep their version of PHP on 7.2 to continue supporting
> > their application.
> >
> This is cool---so what command do you use to choose PHP  8.0 in F28? and
> how do you choose to stay on 7.2 in F29?

On F28
`dnf install php:8/server` (Assuming there's a profile called "server" with
the packages one would need to use PHP in a server context)

On F29, if you have the php:7 module enabled in F28, an upgrade will not
switch this on you. If it's a clean install:
`dnf install php:7/server`

(Note: I don't know if PHP is backwards-compatible between minor versions;
If it's not, then it would probably be php:7.2 and php:8.0 instead)