On 17 April 2018 at 19:42, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 2:53 PM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
> <zbys...@in.waw.pl> wrote:

>>> What if gpm is pulled in as a dependency?
>>>
>>> (gpm may not be the best example here, but Avahi definitely is pulled in
>>> as a dependency sometimes.)
>>
>> Doesn't matter. Essentially, the thinking is that if it is safe and
>> useful to start something after a reboot, it should be OK to start it
>> immediately after installation too.
>
> It's very application and local configuration specific. The "nginx"
> software, for example, may expect some very real configuration
> dependencies before startup to avoid conflicting with an active
> webserver on the same port. When configuration tools like chef or
> ansible install new configurations, the default configuration may not
> even be compatible with what they have previously set up, and the
> service restart would thus fail.until the rest of the deployment is
> completed. But if the rpm installation reports failure because of the
> failed service start, the configuration software may never be able to
> get past that reported failure.

It seems to me that we are hitting the classic workstation/server
divide here. The workstation user wants gpm and other things to start
up when they install it. They expect it to work out of the box and not
need additional configuration. The server person expects that there is
going to be a LOT of special cases that need configuration or multiple
big use cases which conflict. That means having services started could
be worse than not having them wait until a reboot.

Can we start looking at this from that sake versus trying to come up
with a single solution that meets one sides problems but not the
others. It may be that the workstation needs a "yolo" flag which
enables and starts any service which meets certain needs because that
is what that audience is expecting even if that service would not want
to be started in a server environment. [To use the gpm example, if gpm
is installed and started on certain servers that would be a security
finding which could cause fines to the user... while in a workstation
it would be the opposite :)]

Stephen J Smoogen.