On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 11:48:39AM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Mo, 18.06.18 16:54, R P Herrold (herr...@owlriver.com) wrote:

> > ... later: L.P.:
> > > [reduce] the size of the spec if possible, and drop as many
> > > bits of it as we can, i.e. the stuff noone implements
> > > anyway.

> > Will cgroup and SElinux protections work in VFAT ?
>
> cgroups and file systems have little to do with each other.
>
> VFAT won't store selinux labels of course, but you can assign a fixed
> label to all files of a vfat file system when mounting it. It's what
> Fedora does when dealing with the ESP already. So regarding selinux
> it's not whether to do selinux or not to do it, but whether is really
> necessary to label the initrd file and the kernel differently, or
> whether it's ok to give all files in /boot the same label. I am pretty
> sure that's actually what already happens anyway, even if you have
> ext4, but then again i am not running grub nor ext4, so I don't really know.

Mostly everything is labelled with boot_t, but System.map files get
given system_map_t, and there's a few filesystem house keeping labels
too. You can view it with semanage:

# semanage fcontext -l | grep '^/boot'
/boot                                              all files
system_u:object_r:boot_t:s0
/boot/.*                                           all files
system_u:object_r:boot_t:s0
/boot/System\.map(-.*)?                            regular file
system_u:object_r:system_map_t:s0
/boot/\.journal                                    all files          <<None>>
/boot/a?quota\.(user|group)                        regular file
system_u:object_r:quota_db_t:s0
/boot/efi(/.*)?/System\.map(-.*)?                  regular file
system_u:object_r:system_map_t:s0
/boot/lost\+found                                  directory
system_u:object_r:lost_found_t:s0
/boot/lost\+found/.*                               all files          <<None>>

Regards,
Daniel