On 06/22/2018 03:35 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 22, 2018 at 11:01 AM, Javier Martinez Canillas
> <jav...@dowhile0.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 11:19 PM, Chris Murphy <li...@colorremedies.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> [snip]

>>> Yes.

>>> Right. The config + kernel + initramfs on traditional /boot can make
>>> use of software raid, depending on static one time proper
>>> configuration of each member drive's ESPs and now the ESPs never need
>>> to be touched and thus not sync'd.
>>>
>>> Whereas constantly changing the ESP, means we need some way to
>>> establish a master and rsync to the extras.
>>>
>> So the consensus seems to be to have the BLS fragments in
>> $BOOT/loader/entries even on EFI, where $BOOT is the boot partition
>> mounted on /boot. That will give us the following advantages as
>> mentioned in this thread:
>>
>> 1. The BLS will not be stored in vfat, so ostree could keep using
>> symlinks to do atomic swap of its /boot/loader/entries
>> 2. The ESP won't be modified on kernels install / removal, that will
>> make it easier for software RAID.
>> 3. There will be consistency on where the BLS fragments are installed
>> regardless of the firmware interface (EFI, BIOS, OPAL on ppc64le and
>> zipl on s390x will all use /boot/loader/entries).
>>
>> I've updated the wiki page to reflect this and we will also change the
>> implementation.
>
> $BOOT being non-vfat is a fairly substantial departure from either
> BootLoaderSpec, the original requires $BOOT be vfat, the mjg59 version
> require $BOOT be firmware readable. That is not a complaint, I'm just
> making an observation of the consequences. I'm personally on the fence
> when it comes to the merit of a shared $BOOT. It sounds like a good
> idea, but maybe it's specious?
>
> Just to give some people still hanging on to this thread a visual of
> the dilemma:
>
> Not Shared $BOOT <--------------------||---> Shared $BOOT
> md raid                                          vfat
> lvm, lvmraid                         udf
> btrfs                                ntfs
> LUKS
> F2FS
>
> By making it possible to put /boot/loader/entries on e.g. md or even
> lvm raid1 or btrfs raid1, that implies a /boot/loader/entries that's
> readable for very few bootloaders, and no operating systems other than
> Linux. So it is not a shared $BOOT design. And that is a big departure
> from the entire point of the BootLoaderSpec, which I think is a bit
> too rigid.  I think the spec would be better off presenting itself as
> a continuum from a highly sharable $BOOT, to one that has features
> that inevitably make it less sharable.
>
> e.g. Somewhere close to shared $BOOT would be udf or ntfs. Both have
> read support on all major OS's, and by GRUB. Both support symlinks and
> some other features of modern file systems that FAT lacks. But UDF
> gets the edge on Linux because we have kernel level support, whereas
> [...]

What is the benefit to sharing $BOOT between different operating
systems/distros?

I'd like to point out that $BOOT doesn't have to be shared to dual-boot
multiple distros or benefit from other details of BLS.

Each installed OS that wants to use some derivative of BLS really *can*
just each have their own $BOOT and even use different bootloaders to
implement BLS. (bootloaders can be chained in BIOS, and they can exist
independently of each other in EFI)

The primary benefit I see to adopting BLS here is the drop-in
configuration and consistent syntax regardless of the implementing
bootloaders. The benefit to sharing $BOOT between operating systems
isn't obvious to me, and only introduces limitations such as this
filesystem one.