On Mon, 25 Jun 2018 at 13:02, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
<zbys...@in.waw.pl> wrote:
[..]
> > not really in the first scenario I gave the user decided to change
> > his environment and despite warnings shot himself in the foot, in
> > the second the user was handed a loaded gun with no safety and also
> > managed to shoot himself in the foot. The difference is that in the
> > latter scenario you can't just shrug your shoulders and go "users",
> > you have to accept some of the responsibility for overriding the
> > system commands with the path ordering.
>
> But there are various scenarios in which the user program will get
> called, no matter what the $PATH ordering is. For example, the user
> might create ~/bin/clang, and clang.rpm might not be installed. Then
> any script which tries to autodetect a compiler will call it. It's
> just not possible to guard against naming clashes through path
> ordering.

Whatever user is doing with own non-root account settings it is always
valid assumption that he/she knows exactly what has been done.
And to be honest this is not even assumption. It is fact.
No one expects that for consequences of those "various scenarios"
should take responsibility anyone who is maintaining the distribution
resources.
Only this minimises size of the of set of state "various scenarios" to
finite and quite well defined.

Problem is when default distribution settings crosses the line of the
interaction with non-distribution resources because /usr/local based
paths are present on the front of the default $PATH. This changes size
of this well defined set from finite to the continuum (always you can
add yet another "scenario" by add yet another  variant of the
resources in /usr/local).

~/bin/clang is not part of the distribution. This really ends any
possible analyse in such context.

kloczek
--
Tomasz Kłoczko | LinkedIn: http://lnkd.in/FXPWxH