On 17.7.2018 14:16, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 6:18 PM, Charalampos Stratakis
<cstra...@redhat.com> wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "R P Herrold" <herr...@owlriver.com>
To: "Development discussions related to Fedora" <devel@lists.fedoraproject.org>
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2018 8:57:11 PM
Subject: Re: Intent to orphan Python 2

On Mon, 16 Jul 2018, Miro Hrončok wrote:

On 23.3.2018 12:23, Petr Viktorin wrote:
tl;dr: Unless someone steps up to maintain Python 2 after 2020, we need
to start dropping python2 packages now.

tl;dr: --- that statement by itself overlooks the obvious.
Not ALL packages become unsupported that first day of that
year

Python 2.7 will reach end of upstream support on 1st of January, 2020,
after almost 10 years (!) of volunteer maintenance.

Not to be too direct about this, but isn't the RHEL 6 primary
maintenance date (through 2020 11 30) a closer maintenance
depot to look at and to compare against ?

I don't see how that relates to Fedora. Could you elaborate on what you mean?

EPEL. Many of us use EPEL, with components from Fedora backported to
our working environments. It's been an invaluable resource. Me? I just
got a good look at openstack,, as well, which solved a *lot* of
problems for me trying to bring some modules for communicating with
proprietary data appliances into a RHEL environment. It's part of why
so many Python modules have bothered to maintain Python 2 and Python 3
versions.

I hear you. I just don't understand what our action shall be according to you. Having python2 in Fedora might indeed be beneficial to old EPELs (and RHELs). But it shall not be an excuse to have thousands of modules packaged and supported because some of them might (or might not be) also present in EPEL. You can even use python3 in EPEL and call it a day.

Packages NOT in RHEL have a closer date, perhaps, but RHEL
(next, assumedly 8, but ...) has not dropped yet.  A
subscription customer _should_ be migrating toward 7 at this
point, but as this is not a costless thing, such migrations
tend to be ... with a deliberate pace

Agreed but yet again, this doesn't like something that would impact Fedora.

A lot of us use Fedora as a testing ground for our commercial work for
the more RHEL and CentOS, and a source of bleeding edge tools. Good
open source work is usually open to supporting multiple environments,
so it's worth a thought.

I (and now I'm speaking strictly for myself, other Fedora Python maintainers might have different opinion) won't spend my free time to maintain something I don't like just to support your commercial work. Will you? I don't have enough resources in my paid time to support Python 2 in Fedora **on the current scale**. That's what this topic was all about. Reduce the cruft, so we can keep it and support it in our paid time to support both commercial and non-commercial work. If not reduced, we cannot do that.

--
Miro Hrončok