On 18.7.2018 00:03, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
On 07/16/2018 11:15 AM, Miro Hrončok wrote:

This is just a reminder that nobody stepped up to maintain Python 2
after 2020. We still need to start dropping python2 packages.

What shall we do from here? File a Fedora System Wide Change Proposal
for Fedora 30 that nothing explicitly white-listed to require Python 2
will be removed from Fedora? Can we even do that?

How would you construct the whitelist?

Maintainers of apps and tools would whitelist their packages and we would recursively track dependencies. But that was a bit sarcastic from me, because I don't believe this would ever work (hence the "Can we even do that?" part).

For context - there are currently 708 leaf packages [1](above).

Except several tools and applications, those are all modules that
nothing in Fedora depends on. If we remove some, others only required by
them will become leaf-packages as well.

We also have 1220 py2 only packages out of which plenty are probably
unneeded modules as well, although we don't have the numbers.

As stated in the above e-mail in March, we are willing to support
python2 for several (small number) of tools or apps. But we will not
support it for 3 thousands of unused, unknown modules.

Python 2 will EOL in less than 1.5 year.

Could we perhaps look at moving python2 and everything that wants to use
it into a module? I think that might make it more clear that it's not
part of base Fedora and when it goes eol in f32 we drop it? That would
take a lot of effort and duplication tho.

That would be very painful and would request an extraordinary amount of manpower while gaining zero benefit (except that we would have the ability to drop it mid-realease). The drop can wait until that Fedora EOLs.

I don't think we want to drag this out too long... a clear call to drop
all python2 in 31 (or I suppose f30) would be helpful and avoid some
people dropping something other packages need, etc.

We can call for that but we know that it is not possible. There are Python 2 powered apps in Fedora that could seriously disturb the distro if dropped.

To name a few:

  fedora-easy-karma
  fedora-packager
  fedora-review
  chromium
  nodejs
  datagrepper
  datanommer
  fedwatch
  gimp
  inkscape
  mercurial
  xen

We want to keep them and we are able to maintain Python 2 for them (well, we would very much prefer to have them ported to Python 3 but we realize it's not always happening.)

--
Miro Hrončok