On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 1:25 PM Jeff Johnson <n3npq....@gmail.com> wrote:

> This simply is not true.
>
> Whatever "rpm format" means, historically RPM itself has always gone to
> some lengths not to expose E: to users to simplify the endless fog of
> dependency hell clutter.

Yeah, something which is eluding my understanding.

This will be all off-topic by me again but I think it might be worth to be
mentioned at least...

Given that epoch plays an important role in version comparison (therefore
during package upgrades), it should be visible in rpm names.

E.g.

    $ rpm -q bind-libs

should return:

    bind-libs-32:9.11.3-6.fc28.x86_64

on my system.

It should be clear directly from package name why e.g.:

    bind-libs-32:9.11.3-6.fc28.x86_64 < bind-libs-33:9.9.4-61.fc28.x86_64

Hiding the epoch does not serve any purpose here (or anywhere). Epoch
number is something that should be explicitly present in package name so
that
users know what's going on when they can't update a package.

Of course, ideally epoch should stay zero if possible and only be used as a
"safety mechanism" when upstream does something unexpected but even if
epoch is zero,
it should still be put into rpm name.

This is very remotely related to:
https://github.com/rpm-software-management/rpm/issues/450

clime

P.S.: note that if Epoch: tag is missing in a spec file, it should be
assumed epoch = 0. I think the behavior I am describing is quite natural,
that's why I am using the word "should".