Hi,

an interesting discussion came up in the Python Maint team recently, about not shipping python3-debug and python2-debug.

On the Chesterton's fence principle [0], I'd would like to know why are we building and shipping them before we have a discussion about their removal to save build time and remove packaging cruft.

Anyone has an idea? Those packages are meant to debug Python, yet all people I know who do that, build they own Python for that purpose (often from the master branch).

I tracked down the introduction of the python-debug package in this commit [1] by David Malcolm (CCed) @ 8 years ago, added in Fedora 14 shortly before upgrade to 2.7. Yet the commit message lacks rationale.

[0] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Chesterton%27s_fence
[1] https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/python/c/f020abd35954981b383884105dad425ba9c6637a

Thanks,
--