On Monday, 06 August 2018 at 18:29, Jan Kratochvil wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Aug 2018 17:30:02 +0200, David Malcolm wrote:
> > On Mon, 2018-08-06 at 13:15 +0200, Jan Kratochvil wrote:
> > > That confirms the whole OS "Checked Build" variant would solve even this
> > > problem.
> >
> > Jan:  In my view, it's not a problem, it's a feature.  An OS-wide
> > change wouldn't turn on "--with-pydebug" for Python, unless it was
> > directly coded into the specfile.
>
> Packages would be recommended to turn on such flags for that variant of OS,
> such as for example for glib2:
>       --enable-debug --enable-gc-friendly --disable-mem-pools
> etc.
> At least this is what IIUC Microsoft does for their Checked Build.
>

> > The change to the ABI is due to two new fields with the base struct for
> > python objects.
>
> That is not a problem for a Checked Build OS as all the packages are compiled
> for the different ABI.

If there is a clear packaging guideline and a macro framework in-place
i.e.:

%bcond_with checked_build
[...]

%configure
[...]
%if %{with checked_build}
        --enable-debug --enable-gc-friendly --disable-mem-pools
%endif

Or even just:

%global checked_build_configure_opts --enable-debug --enable-gc-friendly
--disable-mem-pools
[...]
%configure_checked (which would do something like the above)

then all packages that support this can be built twice, automatically.
There should probably be some special generated Provides and Requires,
too, I guess.

It would still require significant effort to support this in koji and
composes. I'm not sure how useful that would be in general, but you're
welcome to propose a system-wide change and work on this.

Regards,
Dominik
--
Fedora   https://getfedora.org  |  RPMFusion   http://rpmfusion.org