On Tue, Oct 2, 2018 at 4:48 AM, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski
<domi...@greysector.net> wrote:
> Dear developers,
> sorry for a slightly off-topic post, but I've noticed that a significant
> number of posters is sending HTML e-mail to this list (not to mention
> top-replying), which generates unnecessary network traffic. Some people
> pay for every bit downloaded, so they're paying for the same information
> twice, because the e-mails are sent with multipart/alternative format,
> which contains BOTH text/plain and text/html. One thing I noticed those
> senders have in common is that they use Gmail.
>
> So, a plea to Gmail users: please stop sending HTML e-mail to Fedora
> mailing lists.

It's a valid complaint. Gmail has a Plain text mode in the popdown
menu to the right of the trash. Usually this is a sticky setting, but
for reasons I can't figure out it sometimes silently unsticks (I think
only on replies, not new mails). And Gmail on both iOS and Android
lacks the option entirely, which is where you're going to get the bulk
of top posting and html replies.

Considering it's 2018, and plain text and bottom posting are policies,
I'd like to think some clever person could make a mailing list program
apply the policy by striping out the html, recognizing top posting and
putting it at the bottom of the quoted text. And in fact this could
have been done 10 years ago but for whatever reason people seem to
prefer endlessly pointing to impossible guidelines and then
complaining when people or their chosen MUA fails the policy.

Meanwhile over on the vger kernel mailing lists, they bounce emails
that contain html. Which is super annoying because now I can't reply
from my phone, but at least no one is complaining about html emails on
any of those lists.

--
Chris Murphy