On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 4:26 AM Matthew Miller <mat...@fedoraproject.org>
wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 03:53:06AM -0000, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> > But we can file bugs against Discourse and they will be magically and
> > quickly fixed to our satisfaction, yes?
>
> Of course not. However: development is very active.
> https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commits/master
>

> > I'm concerned that those proposing Discourse seem to not have used
> > Hyperkitty at length.
>
> As you know, I was very excited about HyperKitty. I *did* try it very
> seriously at first, but not at length, because it quickly became apparent
> that it wasn't really up to the task of being my primary interface to
> email.
> I just couldn't use it for day-to-day communication. Not necessarily any
> single thing, but lots and lots of fundamentals. How do I get a list of new
> threads? How do I get a list of threads I've read but which have new
> I don't want to be alerted on? How do I get to the next thread from the
> *bottom* of a thread I just read? How can I search... usefully at all? My
> point isn't to rag on HyperKitty, but I could definitely go on.
>
> I tried for a while to file suggestions and bug reports, but especially
> after the extra two years it took to even get deployed, it was *very* clear
> there were no resources for ongoing development from Red Hat, no
> significant
> non-RH Fedora development, and no meaningful outside development either.
> Basic things like https://gitlab.com/mailman/hyperkitty/issues/64 didn't
> even get *responses*. So, I stuck with my previous email client setup.
>
> And the thing is, it's *not just me*. Take a look at
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@lists.fedoraproject.org/
> right now. Every single thread shows a "meh" face and "+0/-0". It says
>
>    Most popular discussions
>    No vote has been cast this month (yet).
>
> It is the 19th of the month. Not a single vote on our most busy mailing
> list. The same is true for every other list I looked at. People just aren't
> using this.
>
> I *really* think HyperKitty has potential. But we can't run on potential.
> Discourse is a pure open source project that is *really catching on and
> successful*. It's not perfect either, of course, but we're way better off
> aligning with something with momentum.

Completely agree - well stated.  It's quite obvious when using both tools
which lends itself
to better conversation and collaboration.  I realize people are resistant
to change - but once
they start to use and learn about the new features and functionality - most
people come around.
Sometimes people need a nudge to change and adapt - myself included.  It's
just human nature -
but as I get older, I try to keep an open mind and be adaptable.