On Sat, Oct 13, 2018 at 5:57 PM, Garry T. Williams <gtwilli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday, October 13, 2018 7:34:44 PM EDT Chris Murphy wrote:
>> Good catch. It's vaguely possible there's a bug in either shim 15-5
>> or grub2-efi 2.02-58 as it relates to your firmware, that caused
>> it to silently fail, and the firmware did a fallback to the 2nd
>> BootOrder, which is the Ubuntu entry.
>
> I want to emphasize that it was *not* boot order that changed.  I
> manually attempted to boot Fedora, but it failed (oh how I wish I had
> paid attention to the details).
>
> Anyway, I can manually change the boot order to either OS and it
> respects my change.  My problem was something else entirely since a
> manual change didn't boot Fedora.

I'd expect any failure (due to bug or general disagreement between
firmware and shim and grub) to result in the firmware using the next
boot entry in BootOrder. This fallback behavior is in the UEFI
specification for all firmware to follow and supposedly behave
consistently, it's not something you're doing.

--
Chris Murphy