On Sat, Nov 10, 2018 at 5:43 PM <mcatanz...@gnome.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 10, 2018 at 4:03 PM, Neal Gompa <ngomp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Most of the defaults upstream are largely due to legal issues that are no
> longer applicable.
>

> As of very recently, Marik did make one change: subpixel rendering is now
> enabled by default in Fedora's freetype package (if you have the latest F29
> updates) at build time, whereas it's still disabled by default upstream. But
> it remains disabled at runtime. But I don't think that's due to legal
> reasons. I think it's just because that's what Nikolaus prefers. He's an
> expert on font rendering, and I'm not, so you'd have to ask him.

I'm aware of the subpixel rendering enablement, as I tested it and
sent a pull request to actually fix the enablement[1].

Unfortunately, a lot of text on the web renders really poorly without
rgba subpixel rendering (aka ClearType). It's a lot less noticeable if
you're lucky enough to have a 4K display (which I do not). But having
text look squishy and spaced incorrectly does not make for enjoyable
reading...

[1]: https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/freetype/pull-request/1

> Another difference is that we disable bitmap fonts at the fontconfig level,
> because it's insane not to. That really ought to be changed upstream.
>
> And Fedora is the only distribution I know of
>
> that actually actively maintains a very large fontconfig configuration for
> every single font.
>

> I wasn't aware of this?

We require every font packaged in Fedora to have fontconfig
configuration. I know this because I learned about it when I packaged
a font a while ago[2]. Most fonts probably have similarly trivial
fontconfig config files, but there are some that have more complex
ones.

[2]: https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/d-din-fonts