We, as a distro, just take a different approach.
To be bleeding edge requires to have releases often.

That allow us to manage changes like GCC, OpenSSL and so on quickly.
Struggling with upstream who don't adapt, can't adapt or don't want to
adapt at the same speed. (And OpenSSL patch isn't something you'd want
to write for serveral pojects you maintain ...)

That is what make us different distro with its own user base. Want the
very same but LTS system? try CentOS. Or RHEL.

--

Speaking for myslef, the trouble is to keep up with the system wide
changes even as a maintainer.

Last half a year I tried to make COPR repositories for each major
release (10.1-10.3) for every Fedora version (F27+). Worked well with
"15 minutes of best effort" rule. Not sure if anybody used it though.
Now I can slowly abadon the COPR thanks to modules which does the
trick. However all of the problems remained, while I should put more
energy and time into it.
* Rebuild 10.1 with new OpenSSL? don't think so ...
* Change package layout to undo some changes in releases that don
support it? not compatible with the rest of the OS ...
* Use release with old client library in Fedora version adjusted to
new one? breaks literaly everything ...

It's like "give me another folk working full time on it and I still
don't believe we could solve all of this".

What I wanted to express by this message is the fact, prolonging
software support time in Fedora means *a lot* of low-level work TBD.
I can maintain it either "bleeding edge style", geting users new
features literally ASAP, or "LTS style" defend the database from any
update to not break anything, bugfix and security fix only. (I'm doing
it for RHEL after all).
But not both.
That would require wide matrix of versions adapted to every change,
update and feature or not adapted at all (or just to some of them);
depending on whether the specific user pick LTS version or evolving
one.

Looked for a solution for over a year. Not finding any.
I keep saying RHEL & CentOS are our LTS versions.
Wishing good luck to your search.

--

Michal Schorm
Associate Software Engineer