On Fri, 16 Nov 2018 00:18:35 +0100, you wrote:

>Also, I don't really understand where this need for a "fedora LTS"
>comes from. I've always thought of RHEL / CentOS as filling that role.
>I agree that there could probably be more collaboration between these
>three projects (especially CentOS and fedora), but trying to introduce
>"fedora LTS", basically as a competitor to CentOS - won't help.

I think the problem is that for a consumer / desktop oriented product
- which we seem to be talking about given that this appears to be
driven in part by the desire of hardware vendors - the RHEL/CentOS
release cycle leads to problems for several years worth of hardware
releases.

If you are a hardware vendor would you want to be releasing a laptop
running CentOS 7.x today, with its outdated versions of much of the
software (that is a value to the enterprise server market, but less so
consumer)?

>Additionally, fedora explicitly targets a rather specific audience
>("developers and makers of all kinds"). Trying to "grow" fedora by
>making it less appealing to its current core audience (which most of
>the proposals I read in this thread would seem to do), seems
>misguided.

But is Fedora targetting that audience, and if so is it doing it
sucessfully?  An awful lot of OSS seems to be developed on Ubuntu, and
thus is only supported on Ubuntu by the developers with Fedora as an
afterthought if at all.

I suspect the reality is that developers today aren't looking for a
"bleeding edge" system like Fedora but rather a system that offers a
compromise between the fast releases of Fedora and the glacial
releases of Red Hat, something that has decent current hardware
support and a reasonably up to date desktop environment - in other
words what these hardware vendors want.