MM> It's the fundamental contradiction that all operating systems face:
MM> users complain "too fast and too slow!" at the same time.

Well, then lengthening the Fedora lifecycle does not seem to me to be
the real solution.  Instead, I think, it's to piggyback onto the already
long RHEL lifecycle but provide isolated pieces of "instability"
(i.e. new stuff) to people who want them.

Or more simply, don't try to slow Fedora down.  Let Fedora be Fedora and
instead leverage Fedora to speed RHEL up in selected areas where people
want it.

MM> As noted elsewhere in this thread, many packagers are already doing
MM> this: maintaining a slow stream for EPEL or for RHEL as part of
MM> their day job, and a fast stream in Fedora.

So let RHEL be the core bits, moving as fast or as slow as Red Hat wants
to support.  And let someone who wants "the new stuff" layer things over
that.  Fedora could provide the layers, which move as fast as Fedora
does.

Of course, the practicalities of that and the potential combinatorial
explosion of options and interdependencies might render the whole idea
pointless.  But that's supposed to be what the whole module system
solves.  Or is it the flatpak system?  Maybe both.  And I believe those
are both conveniently supported by RHEL8.

As a practical example, take KDE.  I view the recent dropping of KDE
from RHEL as a net positive because now you can easily get a KDE desktop
on RHEL that actually gets close to the actual current state of KDE
instead of being something ancient.  So stable kernel and "core stuff",
fresh desktop.  Toss in an updated firefox, vim, emacs, zsh and
libreoffice and I guess for my daily driving I'd probably never notice
that the deep innards are a few years behind.  As long as it actually
supports the hardware....

This still takes volunteer effort which I just don't think is available
currently, though it's way less than maintaining a Fedora release for
extra years.  And it needs a willingness to mess with the base RHEL
which we have so far not ever permitted.  I imagine that doing any of
this would put you well out of any support contract you might have, but
if done with finesse... maybe not.  And if CentOS is the base then
that's not a concern at all.

 - J<