On 11/16/18 5:17 PM, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> MM> It's the fundamental contradiction that all operating systems face:
> MM> users complain "too fast and too slow!" at the same time.
>
> Well, then lengthening the Fedora lifecycle does not seem to me to be
> the real solution.  Instead, I think, it's to piggyback onto the already
> long RHEL lifecycle but provide isolated pieces of "instability"
> (i.e. new stuff) to people who want them.
>
> Or more simply, don't try to slow Fedora down.  Let Fedora be Fedora and
> instead leverage Fedora to speed RHEL up in selected areas where people
> want it.
>
> MM> As noted elsewhere in this thread, many packagers are already doing
> MM> this: maintaining a slow stream for EPEL or for RHEL as part of
> MM> their day job, and a fast stream in Fedora.
>
> So let RHEL be the core bits, moving as fast or as slow as Red Hat wants
> to support.  And let someone who wants "the new stuff" layer things over
> that.  Fedora could provide the layers, which move as fast as Fedora
> does.
>
> Of course, the practicalities of that and the potential combinatorial
> explosion of options and interdependencies might render the whole idea
> pointless.  But that's supposed to be what the whole module system
> solves.  Or is it the flatpak system?  Maybe both.  And I believe those
> are both conveniently supported by RHEL8.
So basically something EPEL-like that doesn't have the "don't mess
with the base OS" restriction?  That would be really nice.  The long
time between RHEL releases (which seems to be getting worse, too)
makes supporting it a real pain for my group.

--
Mátyás (Mat) Selmeci
Open Science Grid Software Team / Center for High-Throughput Computing