On 18-11-18 16:29:45, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
I'm not for or against a longer Fedora lifecycle, but I think we need
a stronger statement of what the problem is we're trying to address.

From your email:

On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 06:36:38PM -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> But there are some good cases for a longer lifecycle. For one thing,
> this has been a really big blocker for getting Fedora shipped on
> hardware. Second, there are people who really could be happily running > Fedora but since we don't check the tickbox, they don't even look at us
> seriously. I'd love to change these things. To do that, we need
> something that lasts for 36-48 months.

this sounds like a very valid problem.

But if this was fixed, what number of manufacturers would adopt Fedora
and how many installations do they ship (eg per year)?  Could it be
fixed in another way, like a special OEM Fedora release?

Is this the only problem that we're trying to solve or are there others?

I would suggest fixing the "problem" in a completely different way.
There seems to be a class of customer that wants the very latest thing,
often, but for each such thing to hold still and be maintained for 3 to
7 years.  That isn't Fedora, or even RHEL.

Fedora can be updated and upgraded with good reliablility now.  So,
instead, continue to make updates and version upgrades more and more
reliable, and revertable when they don't work, as MSWindows has been
doing.  Get more users within those customers so they trust that
reliablility.  Then those customers can choose, in a business way, to
install Fedora for their customers, who will get and keep the latest
and greatest, and Fedora has captialized on its strengths.