On Sun, 18 Nov 2018 at 17:20, Neal Gompa <ngomp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 18, 2018 at 5:08 PM Orion Poplawski <or...@nwra.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 11/18/18 2:29 PM, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > > I'm not for or against a longer Fedora lifecycle, but I think we need
> > > a stronger statement of what the problem is we're trying to address.
> > >
> > >  From your email:

> > > this sounds like a very valid problem.
> > >
> > > But if this was fixed, what number of manufacturers would adopt Fedora
> > > and how many installations do they ship (eg per year)?  Could it be
> > > fixed in another way, like a special OEM Fedora release?
> >
> > And why haven't these manufacturers already adopted CentOS which is
> > definitely around longer than 36-48 months?
> >

> I think it's quite obvious why. No one can really influence what's in
> CentOS. Red Hat Enterprise Linux itself is developed mostly behind

Those manufacturers can't really influence Windows any either. They
instead know that they will sell enough laptops with Windows on them
that they won't take a bath. There is also complicated financial
methods where Microsoft seems to supplement laptop sales so that it is
cheaper for them to ship with windows than to ship a system with no
OS. Centos also ships a lot of non-Red Hat kernels and modules which
meet various itches that people feel (xen, upstream lts, various
gluster/ceph/arm32/etc)

These are usually the bigger reasons why most larger OEM's haven't
been interested in putting CentOS or even Ubuntu on a large set of
systems. They know that the number of systems they will sell are at
most 1% of all sales.. and there isn't a large enough incentive to do
the various work they need to do that. So you end up needing a vendor
who is going to go all in (the System76's) or you get someone who is
going to offer a specific model set they know they can do
cost-effectively but aren't going to put too much into it. [AKA if the
engineers working on it love MCC Linux.. then its going to be MCC
Linux.]

In the end, for Fedora to be on a laptop by default someone is going
to have to say 'we are betting the farm to do this and will do the
work to make that happen'. I also think that we are focusing on one
part of the original proposal... It wasn't the entire reason for doing
some sort of LTS somewhere. It is just the one we can probably pick
holes in the easiest :).

--
Stephen J Smoogen.