On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 12:42 PM Nicolas Mailhot
<nicolas.mail...@laposte.net> wrote:

> Le jeudi 29 novembre 2018 à 10:56 -0500, Josh Boyer a écrit :
> >
> > Of the large number of packages that you maintain, how many of them
> > are critical to freeze at a specific version for a given Fedora
> > release?  Possibly some, but I would think across the distribution it
> > would not be a huge number.
>
> It's not so much that many packages need freezing, but quite a lot need
> coordinated rebuilds (mini mass rebuilds). Once thing current cadencing
> provides is "free" mass rebuilds (you just make sure to commit the key
> packages before branching and releng will usually mass rebuild all the
> other things that depend on those key parts for some other reason).
>
> Fix the tooling so those mini mass rebuilds are cheap to setup and are
> not human packager intensive, and there's not reason the rebuild result
> could not be pushed to every release. Or to a rolling release. Or
> whatever.

Yes, agreed.  Fixing the tooling is what much of these threads are about ;)

> We really need to evolve our tooling from "packages can be handled
> independently in reviews, builds, and pushes, coordinated changes are
> the exception" to "we manage sets of packages by default, single-package
> changes are just set changes with set = 1"

Modularity does that for a number of cases, but it isn't a silver
bullet.  Our package dependencies web is much too complex to make it
feasible for everything to be in a module, at least right now.

(We should really also revisit our package dependencies in general and
try to minimize as much as we can for a variety of reasons, leveraging
rich/weak deps.  That's a different topic though.)

josh