* Tomas Tomecek:

>> * Matthew Miller:
>>

>> Make it cheap to maintain branches.  I expect that one what to achieve
>> this would be to build directly out of Git, with synthesized release
>> numbers and changelogs.  This way, you can apply a lot of fixes to
>> multiple branches without encountering mandatory conflicts.
>
> We are aiming for something similar what you just described. I created this
> wiki page to describe the work briefly:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/CI/source-git
>
> The actualy work is happening here now:
>
> https://github.com/user-cont/source-git
>
> We would love to take development off dist-git (but keep dist-git!)
> and move it to git repos with real source code which match upstream
> repositories. In such repo you have branches which track respective
> Fedora versions -- you can easily cherry pick fixes. We would validate
> every pull request in such repo and stuff would get merged only when
> it passes testing. Right now we are trying to write minimal code to
> make such thing work, evaluate it and present at devconf.cz to get
> some more feedback.

That sounds very nice.

Is there a place to discuss this approach?

I assume you still generate a flattened source tarball and inject that
into the RPM spec file?

I do wonder if it would be preferably to write the source RPM directly
(from a plain working tree, without history), with non-flattened paths,
and archive that in Koji for reproducibility.

Thanks,
Florian