On Thu, Dec 06, 2018 at 02:48:32PM +0000, Petr Pisar wrote:
> On 2018-12-06, Florian Weimer <fwei...@redhat.com> wrote:
> > In a sense, it's the old discussion between explicit rename recording
> > and rename detection.  I think it's clear by now that rename detection
> > has won.
> >
> Can you give us some example of a rename detection that works?
>
> If a packager cherry-picks patches, he looses upstream's commit IDs.

You should essentially always use 'git cherry-pick -x $HASH' this causes
the commit message to have a line appended:

    (cherry picked from commit d6b27d3e4c40946efa79e91d134616b41b1666c4)

If you cherry-pick from a commit that was in turn a cherry-pick, you'll
get a long series of annotations so you can see the chain of picks.

IMHO this is one of those annoying git cases where the commonly desired
behaviour is not in fact the

Regards,
Daniel