On Mo, 07.01.19 13:32, Stephen John Smoogen (smo...@gmail.com) wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 at 12:32, John Harris <joh...@splentity.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Monday, January 7, 2019 11:34:47 AM EST Ben Cotton wrote:
> > > The Fedora community cares about privacy and is adverse to tracking
> > > measures. We don't want to track; just count.
> >
> > If this is ever implemented, we should probably notify end users and provide
> > an easy way to disable this. If you pass an identifier, that enables client
> > tracking.
>
> The original proposla was looking at something to what yum has had
> built into it for a while. Every yum installation has a file
> /var/lib/yum/uuid which contains whatever was pulled from
> /proc/sys/kernel/random/uuid when yum was installed.  Here is one
> example 34cb9496-a62c-496e-8935-22f550247262

Uh, please don't do it this way. People build reusable images of
Fedora that are then run unmodified in many instances. If you invent a
new file for a new uuid like this then it's highly unlikely people
will reset it when building such images, and hence your counting will
count all such instances as one, which you probably don't want.

Hence, any such uuid should be keyed off /etc/machine-id, as that file
exists for purposes like this, and the chance that it is reset during
image building is higher, and doesn't require people to reset uuids
all over the place.

hence my recommendation to derive the any uuid for purposes like this
from /etc/machine-id, by using a HMAC of some kind (see other mail).

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat