On Mon, Mar 04, 2019 at 11:11:48AM +0100, Pavel Raiskup wrote:
> On Monday, March 4, 2019 10:46:45 AM CET Petr Šabata wrote:

> > > I don't understand your point of view.  If it is safe to enable modular
> > > repositories on user boxes by default (that's what we have now), why we
> > > can not enable them in koji and why we can not enable them in mock?
> >
> > We're currently discussing how to enable them in koji.  It's just not
> > the case at the moment.  Also the module set available and enabled in
> > koji might differ from the repo we ship.
>
> So the thing is to fix koji, not to fix mock - but you suggested to remove
> modular repos from mock config, iirc so why?  So if there's actually a
> reason to do so, shouldn't we removed it from
> /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-modular.repo as well?

I suggested to drop the modular repo from the mock config to get
an environment similar to what we have in koji.  The koji change
might take a while, and, as noted, the module set available in
koji might ultimately differ from the one in distribution repos.

> > > Can you elaborate?  How the 'non-modular buildroot in koji' differs from
> > > modules-in-the-non-modular-buildroot?
> >
> > https://pagure.io/fesco/issue/2003
> >
> > The standard buildroot doesn't currently include any modular
> > content.  There are ways to put it in but we haven't decided how
> > to do it yet.
> >
> > Non-modular buildroot is the base buildroot that non-modular
> > packages use to build.  It may or may not include modules.  It
> > currently doesn't but we would like to change that.
> >
> > Once it does, I would like the mock config to include modules that
> > the koji buildroot includes.  Currently it doesn't include any so
> > I'd rather not include any.
>
> Ah, so we consider "modular" content to be a standard, and non-modular to
> be non-standard.  I understood it vice versa before TBH.

No.  Where am I saying that?

> > > Please elaborate on "why" on this, too.
> >
> > Since the buildroot normally doesn't include modules (see above)
> > and there might be multiple incompatible streams anyway, you
> > should build your content as a module and define proper
> > module-level dependencies on the content you need -- either to
> > build, to run, or both.
>
> You should be able to pick what you build/run/both against, and there
> should be some default (== no stream enabled by default seems to be the
> sanest default to me).

And you do that by wrapping your content in a module and declaring
your deps.

We still want to enable streams by default as we believe it
contributes to better user experience -- users don't have to look
for packages in modules and enable them manually.  Still, if you
depend on modular content, you should say so.  They only have to
care if they want to consume alternative content.

> > I don't think this is all that different from normal package
> > builds where you simply declare your RPM-level deps rather than
> > hope that something is magically pulled into the buildroot or
> > already installed on the system.
>
> Well, this comes from my misunderstanding how the modularity is used
> probably...  E.g. there are attempts to move e.g. java stack to modular
> content - only because the MBS allows building against all fedora release
> by one command (== to avoid fedora branching "burden").  Even though this
> use-case is probably a misuse - to explain why I'm asking - I'd still
> expect that the java modular content is somehow available in buildroots
> by default configured in mock.

We would like that to be the case but for that we need to resolve
the FESCo ticket I linked earlier.  If Java goes module-only right
now, it will not be available to non-modular packages.  Hence why
some people are taking over the non-modular variants of those
packages for the time being.