On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 11:43 AM Miroslav Suchý <msu...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Dne 12. 03. 19 v 12:34 Neal Gompa napsal(a):
> > This whole process was handled in the worst possible way. To sum up:
> > * No one knew Java SIG was having manpower issues because Mikolaj
> > didn't know how to ask for help
> > * Now it's too late because he orphaned nearly 1700 packages to force
> > modularization
> > * This caused everyone dependent on those packages to freak
> > * And here we are in the bad ending...
>
> Alternative sum up:
> * People (not just Mikolaj) started using modules, while Koji cannot use
> modular repos.

Addendum: some of us part-time packagers, which depended on these
packages to build our own Java packages don't know how to convert to
modular packaging. I'm still trying to learn in my spare time, but I
don't know where to look and have limited time. It was nearly all the
spare cycles I had just to learn RPM, Fedora RPM packaging policies,
and how to use fedpkg, koji, and bodhi. Now... I'm kinda lost again
and feel like I'm starting over from scratch. I can't be the only one.
I still think a lot of this is being driven by experienced Fedora
packagers, and those involved in composes, but without a lot of regard
to the casual or relatively inexperienced packager. pkgdb was a highly
usable tool for inexperienced packagers, as it was a "one stop shop"
for everything related to your package... but now... it's hard to find
all the tools you need to do packaging.

I have several Java packages that depend on one another, as well as
dependencies now in modular repos. I have no idea where to get
started. Which ones should be in the same module? Should each RPM be
put in separate modules? How do I create convert my packages to
modules? What is the workflow for builds? For updates? Do I still use
fedpkg to submit to koji and bodhi? How will users install my RPMs
now? I feel a bit overwhelmed by all of this... and I'm sure I should
be spending more time trying to figure all this out on my own... but I
really don't know where to start.