On Sun, May 5, 2019 at 7:49 AM Roberto Ragusa <m...@robertoragusa.it> wrote:

> On 5/4/19 10:50 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>  > One of my bricks that will soon get Fedora 30 was originally installed
> with Fedora Core 4.
>  >
>  > Obviously a minority; but you'll be surprised to learn how many systems
> there are which have been running Fedora for a very long time. Fedora 20 is
> what, about five years old? There are many, many systems which are at least
> five years old. People don't really swap hardware every 2-3 years, any more.

> My contribution to the surprise:
>
> [root@localhost ~]# grep fedora-release /root/install.log
> Installing fedora-release-3-8.i386.
> [root@localhost ~]# uname -a
> Linux localhost 5.0.4-200.fc29.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Mar 25 02:27:33 UTC 2019
> x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

You're kind of begging for pain, at this point. Thee have been enough
subtle, fundamental, and functionally incompatible updates to
filesysems such as ext4 and xfs that a surprise at upgrade should not
shock you too much.

> This system was upgraded from Fedora 3 up to 29.
> Also note it started as i386, but at Fedora 16 got transformed into x86_64, a
> kind of (manual) upgrade never
> officially considered possible.

*Ouch*. OK, now you're just hurting yourself. Definitely time to back
up your old system and do a fresh install.

> I don't understand the consideration about old or new hardware.
> Why would I have to reinstall the system when getting new hardware?
> My Fedora system has jumped across 4 machines and who knows how many HDD/SDD
> replacements.

It Depends(tm). One issue I've encountered is with disk controllers.
Anaconda is pretty good about detecting disk controllers at boot time
and loading up initrd appropriately. on the new OS. Deducing the disk
controller, the order of discovery of such controllers, and the tuning
necessary to upgrade the OS reliably is an adventure. It also used to
be worse when the file systems were referred to in /etc/fstab by their
partition numbers, such as "/dev/sda1" which became "/dev/sde1" on the
old Promise RAID controllers depending on which support patch they had
applied. Ye *ghods*, I hated those controllers.....