On Sun, May 5, 2019 at 9:40 AM Nicolas Mailhot
<nicolas.mail...@laposte.net> wrote:

> Baring that, just having a reinstall bootloader option in rescue mode would
> go a long way to make this all less a PITA. Fedora has been doing
> incompatible bootloader changes every few years for as long as I remember

GRUB 2 does not support bootloader reinstallation from the pre-boot
environment. The GRUB rescue code is in the stage 2 bootloader. If
you're at GRUB rescue, it means it can't read or can't find normal.mod
which means it can't read anything else it would need to construct a
stage 2 bootloader from scratch and install it.

So this ship sailed with GRUB Legacy a very long time ago.

--
Chris Murphy