On Sun, May 5, 2019 at 10:33 AM Steve Grubb <sgr...@redhat.com> wrote:

> I am thinking that something could have been put into dnf system-upgrade

Impractical. That is a code change, it would need buy off from dnf
folks, it would need translations (probably), it would need a freeze
exception, it does not address the much more common upgrade path of
GNOME Software (graphical upgrades). Keep in mind this bug was
actually found rather late in the testing process. I only stumbled
into it because someone said on #fedora-qa that ppc64le installs
weren't booting in Open QA. And then we got suspicious that it might
be an issue that could happen on x86/x86_64 if the GRUB core.img
(stage 2) was too old, and then Javier narrowed it down.

So there's a case where alternate architecture helped us catch a bug.
There really aren't many users with very old installation that are
doing beta testing, a lot of the tests and release requirements are in
fact predicated on clean installs of the most recent two Fedora
versions.

> where it could have warned about the problem or did a workaround. Actually,
> this could still be put into system-upgrade because not everyone switches
> first week or two because they are waiting to see what problems people hit
> before doing it themselves.

Right and that's the same with beta testing, which is how bugs like
this can sometimes not even get found until after release. A lot of
tests are done on pristine systems that are throw away. It's entirely
understandable few people want to test Fedora pre-release on their
rock solid 5+ year old Fedora system, but we actually stumbled on this
in some sense by luck of alternate arch acting like a canary.

--
Chris Murphy