On Sun, May 5, 2019 at 5:08 PM Sam Varshavchik <mr...@courier-mta.com> wrote:

> Chris Murphy writes:
>
> > If you see the rescue kernel+initramfs menu entry though, you do not
> > have the bug under discussion, and you don't need to run
> > 'grub2-install' - your GRUB is by definition functioning fine if you
> > see this menu entry.
>
> I just inventoried my bricks. One, which has not been updated to F30 yet,
> features this in its default.cfg:
>
> menuentry 'Fedora 19 Rescue 929d17a456bf4083a935b6209da2ef46
> (3.9.8-300.fc19.x86_64)' --class fedora --class gnu-linux --class gnu --
> class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-simple-6a70e79b-78da-487a-acfe-
> dfba88996747' {
>
> So, it's a rescue from Fedora 19, which, from what I understand, is covered
> by the bug.

Only if all three are true:

a. It has BIOS firmware
b. grub2-install from Fedora 21 or newer has never been run on it
c. It has been upgraded to Fedora 30

That you can see this menu entry means one of those things is not
true; because the bug causes failure prior to menu entry parsing and
display.

> I have executed grub2-install manually on this machine, though, but I
> wouldn't expect it to figure out which release originally installed this
> kernel. And this machine was initially installed much, much earlier.

In that case I expect that the rescue kernel+initramfs feature first
appeared in dracut in Fedora 19, so that's the first time it would
have noticed the pair are missing, and it would have created them at
that time. But that's just a guess.

--
Chris Murphy