On Sun, May 5, 2019 at 8:22 AM Steven A. Falco <stevenfa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just upgraded my machine from F29 to F30.  Now, whenever I install a new
> kernel, the new kernel does not automatically become the default.  In other
> words, when I reboot, the previous kernel is still chosen by grub2.
>
> I can manually choose the new kernel in the grub2 menu, at which point it
> _does_ become the new default.  I don't wind up at the "grub>" prompt, so I
> think grub2 itself is fine.  It is just that the grubenv is not updated when
> the new kernel is installed.
>
> The machine has UEFI, but the system boots using the legacy BIOS
> compatibility layer.  I know that the boot mechanism changed a bit for F30,
> but I'm not sure where to look to identify the cause of this problem.  It
> doesn't seem to be the same issue as described in BZ 1652806.

Post your /etc/default/grub file

I'm willing to bet there's a line

GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT=true

If so, delete that line or comment it out and then run the usual
grub2-mkconfig and directing the output to the proper grub.cfg path
for your firmware type.

The default that should be honored is found in the grubenv file, which
(curiously) is found at the same path no matter your firmware type:
/boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grubenv

You can list its contents

# grub2-editenv list

And you can change it with

#grub2-set-default <title of kernel>

The title of the kernel is found in the /boot/loader/entries/*conf
files - there is one file for each kernel.

--
Chris Murphy