Hi,

Since JavaScript has a client-side execution model and since the all
the JS scripts are downloaded in plain text format (even if sometimes
obfuscated) along with the html code, then can't we assume that JS
code is available in source format and hence can't be classified as
closed source programs?

> What I suggest is just to use the same old JavaScript interpreter we have
> used before the JIT was introduced, which they undoubtedly keep working for

So much effort and expertise were spent to bring JS execution to
higher performance levels using VMs like V8, Tamarin, Squirrelfish,
and we're speaking here about a 6x to 8x speed up ratio compared to an
interpreted execution. JIT VMs are important for the end-user
experience, being in the context of the web or webapp and are a corner
stone for the next-gen Web where most applications are going to be
written in HTML5 and JavaScript and almost near-native execution
performance is going to be desired (think <canvas> and WebGL for
in-browser standard 2D and 3D rendering), and In my opinion Fedora
should pave the way for such kind of bleeding edge tech. Security
comes from an implementation which is specification compliant and
projects such as Firefox, WebKit (and any other browser which claims
to be standard compliant) that won't save any effort to get to that
point. Techniques such as sand-boxing would also help a lot mitigating
malware and other security issues and constitutes a complementary
design approach for an overall improved browser security model.

-Ilyes Gouta