On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 8:54 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kof...@chello.at> wrote:

>> That's what I meant by a (correct) specification and a compliant
>> implementation.
>
> And here too, I'm afraid you're missing the point. The same specification
> can be implemented in 2 perfectly compliant ways, one being secure and one
> insecure. A JIT is inherently insecure.

The same specification can be implemented in 2 perfectly compliant
ways, one being slow and one being fast.
An interpreter is inherently slow ;)

>> It's changing. HTML5 and JS are going to be the front-ends for such
>> remote services provided by those cloud platforms. And these are the
>> standard way (vs. Adobe's Flash for example) to deliver a rich
>> experience to the end-user, right in his browser, and IMHO we should
>> support that.
>
> Well, that's not what HTML, nor the underlying HTTP, was designed for. I
> don't see it as being an appropriate platform for software at all. (And I
> don't see plugins such as Flash as being the solution either. I believe this
> needs a completely different protocol, e.g. NX is something going in that
> direction.)
>
> And IMHO, as a Free Software distribution, we should do all we can to
> promote Free Software installed on the end user's machine where he/she has
> full control (freedom!) over the software rather than remote services, web
> or otherwise.

Every browser has an option to disable JS, firefox even has an option
to disable it for specific sites or enable it using a whitelist.
You are free to do that on your machine but you have to accept that
others want to 1) use web apps 2) want them to be fast.