On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 6:03 AM Nico Kadel-Garcia <nka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 3:21 AM Neal Gompa <ngomp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > "Weak" dependencies make the problem insuluble.
> >
> > No, they don't. Weak dependencies are not hard to deal with.
>
> > There are two ways to treat them in repoclosure: treat them as
> > Requires or ignore them. Right now, we ignore them, but we could
> > easily modify our repoclosure to treat them as Requires.
>
> This is not a complete test. To be complete, it includes the
> combinatorial complexity of all the different components, installed
> one by one, in deifferent sequiences, with weak dependencies turned on
> and off for each different component, each version of the component,
> and all the different components that may be obsoleted, added, or
> conflicted with the *next* update. It makes the overall problem
> intractable, if not insoluble.

No. It's the same level of complexity for repoclosure and installcheck
for even just strong dependencies.

You can make the assumption that if you flip the weak attribute strong
for repoclosure and installcheck purposes that you've caught all the
necessary cases for dealing with dependency shifts like obsoletes.

This is a problem I've stared deep in the face for literally years at
this point. While you're technically correct that there's tons of
variation for usage, there is not for specifically dependency
checking.

Rich dependencies with boolean clauses are the ones that make things
complex, not weak dependencies. That's when you need to start
"testing" dependency statements.