On Mon, Jun 17, 2019, at 4:47 AM, Michael Schroeder wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 14, 2019 at 12:12:01PM -0400, Neal Gompa wrote:
> > I would actually really like to see rpm's multiversioning capabilities
> > extended to support this.
>
> I'd actually prefer to drop the multiversion mode for the kernel and
> instead add the version to the kernel package name.

FWIW in rpm-ostree we go to some lengths to explicitly undo the libdnf default
of multiple versions for the kernel, because the ostree side of things
effectively multi-versions all of userspace as well.   We're always creating a
new root, so there's no concern about removing modules from the running kernel
(any more than there is a similar concern for userspace components).  An ostree
deployment includes a (kernel+initramfs,userspace) as a pair; two deployments
can happen to share a kernel, or not.   A bit more info in
https://github.com/projectatomic/rpm-ostree/pull/1346