Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> And that's a lot of hardware. Half of my machines don't support AVX2.
> If you dropped back to SSSE3 then I wouldn't complain as that would
> just scrap my 32-bit only machines, but requiring AVX2 is definitely
> going too far.

Requiring SSSE3 would also work for me personally, though I am not convinced
at all that the performance win over SSE2 would be worth dropping 2
generations of CPUs (SSE2, SSE3).

Requiring anything newer would exclude half (SSE4, AVX1) or all (AVX2) my
computers.

> Anyone who wants to build a library with AVX can already do so even
> if the library doesn't support runtime detection. You just build
> twice, once with and once without and put the AVX-enabled version
> in %{_libdir}/haswell.

To be precise, Haswell is actually AVX2.

        Kevin Kofler