David Sommerseth wrote:
> Like it or not, Python 2 is going to die:
> <https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0373/>
>
> Python 2 will not be maintained by upstream after January 1, 2020.  Python
> 2 will go EOL during the lifetime of Fedora 31.

So what? Qt 3 had its last release (3.3.8b) in 2008 (and that was basically
just a relicensing of the final 2007 release 3.3.8). Yet, we (mostly me)
still maintain qt3 and backport security fixes where issues are reported to
us, and Qt 3 applications still work fine. I have KSensors (a qt3/kdelibs3
application) sitting in my system tray all the time. It still works (thanks
also to Plasma 5's xembedsniproxy). I also use Quanta Plus to edit HTML. It
also works as expected.

Just because upstream no longer releases something does not mean it has to
disappear from distributions instantly. I see no other distribution being as
aggressive about removing Python 2 as Fedora is.

There is also a fork trying to keep Python 2 alive:
https://github.com/naftaliharris/tauthon
though it is unfortunately unclear whether the most important point
(backporting security issues) will be taken care of reliably:
https://github.com/naftaliharris/tauthon/issues/109
But it is always possible to do the backports downstream, as we are doing
for the Qt 3 and 4 stacks.

        Kevin Kofler